Monday, December 6, 2010
Career Decision
ugh I've been meaning to update for a long time now, but this past week was one of the most emotionally draining for me. I was faced with a big decision about my career and I was so torn about it. Now that the storm has passed, I can reflect back on it and let u guys know what happened. Basically last week, LAUSD called me and was offering me a position. What happened was they had 60 openings because they realized there were too many students: teacher ratio. I interviewed at 2 school but was contacted by many more schools. LAUSD even said if i didn't find a place, they would place me. Anyways, long story short, i found a school that offered me a 3rd grade position. I would be going back as full time, w/ benefits, permanent status, 3rd year pay. At first, it was obvious I should take the offer. But, I started thinking of my long term goals...to get a permanent full time position closer to home. The only way i could do this in this economy is to go for more of a specialization, such as single subject or special ed (like ellisa). I know if I started building my seniority in LA, I would be stuck there and the 2 hour traffic each way is not something I want for long term. So basically, I decided that since LA couldn't guarantee me a position in the fall either and b/c I knew I didn't want to be there for long term, I decided to stay in Alhambra. I love the job I have now, even tho it is way less pay. Also, I've decided to start studying to get my single subject in math. I'll have to pass a hard math test and take some extra courses... but I hope it'll give me a better chance to get closer. It was so hard for me to give up LA, b/c the practical asian side of me, said to go with the higher paying job, but I know money isn't everything and at least it made me face the question of what I really wanted. Hopefully I can move forward, since i basically said bye to LA for good! The future is uncertain, but I'm working on trusting in God more! Anyways, hope everyone is having a good holiday season. I have yet to START shopping, so please help me and tell me what's on ur wish lists! hahaha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wow that is a tough choice...i think you made the right one thou..that way when you an Hen have little ones you can be home more with them since you'll be close to home and you wont be so tired....in regards to shopping ive barely started im behind!!!
ReplyDeleteEverything happens for a reason! I'm sure everything will work itself out. :D
ReplyDeleteI'm sad I won't be able to see the Brea ladies this holiday season. This will be my first Christmas and New Years without family and close friends!